View Single Post
Old 2008-02-21, 17:03   Link #239
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It looks like a NY Times article about McCain having relations with a female lobbyist for the telecommunications industry has come out to CNN. If you read the statements of the executive editor, the NY Times seems pretty adamant about the article and states that the facts hold true.

I know this doesn't really signify that the media is acting on its own and is free to expose government (an essential duty it began lacking with Bush) but it's nice to see them do it and then stand by their reporting. I'd imagine that this'll hurt McCain somewhat. Most of his core followers will probably take McCain's side and ignore the media, but I'm sure that having a strong media assertion is something that people aren't used to. Given the conservative Republican power base, that'd hurt McCain quite a bit.

While reading the article over I couldn't help but think about the Republicans jumping on Bill Clinton back in the 90's
I wish stuff like this would be addressed by the candidates directly, before it's leaked out from some source to a bunch of news media. If Clinton had just admitted he was a pothead in college, if Bush had copped to his cocaine/alcohol abuse, and if McCain had made this knowledge available, lots of people might have more faith in our politicians and their ability to tell the truth. I think situations of this nature are large parts of the reasons why people don't trust the government.

Lots of people do things they are ashamed of or embarrassed about, all the time. Most of our politicians do stuff like that in college, which is the time to do it. No one should be held accountable for stuff they did so long ago, especially if it has no bearing on their abilities at this point. However, Clinton denying and then admitting to his pot smoking/adultery, Bush vehemently denying his cocaine/alcohol abuse, despite pictures and video to prove otherwise; all of that leads to a state of distrust of our government...something that is hurting us more than we realize, I think.