View Single Post
Old 2008-08-27, 18:46   Link #280
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
Toshiyuki Morikawa does it well and he does sound black.
You must know some funny black people because he doesn't sound a thing like any of the ones I've heard speaking.

Quote:
I watched BL when it was first released. Desert Punk I am on the 3rd episode. I just decided to watch since I have it. I loved both Rock and Revy. Revy was supposed to speak with a Chinese, NY, American accent.(She is actually supposed to be speaking in english the whole time) Balalaika uses english as well. Actually the whole cast is supposed to be speaking it. I love that anime. I especially loved it because I believe Daisuke Namikawa is wonderful actor. I loved the way he played Rock.
He and fellow seiyuu Megumi Toyoguchi (Revy) have a great chemistry. It's probably they are often cast opposite of each other.
Their English actors are awesome too and have the added bonus of accents and such that fit their characters, ie Dutch is voiced by an actual black man and is actually acted pretty well.

As Desert Punk actually has a superior dub script. The Japanese version is toned down in comparison to the English script. Yes, Funi took liberties in the translation but it works here because DP is a show that needs bite to it's dialog. It needs someone calling a guy's mother a dirty whore instead of saying she has an outty. Then again, I find comedies generally do better in English since they sound absurd anyway.

Now if you ever get to Hellsing keep in mind the Japanese staff has HEAVY involvement in the dubbing of it. The director and members of the cast have meat with Hirano on many occasions to discuss the localization.

And you still haven't told me what makes Bebop the big exception.

Quote:
Japanese people respect VA's . So there are many seiyuu's who are awesome to chose from. Unlike in English dubs. We just get the "Best of" the shittiest actors and actresses.
Like I said, voice acting is no more respected there in the big picture than it is here. Only people in the industry and otakus give a damn about seiyuus. The general public see them as nothing more than cartoon voice actors. Only those from classic series have the level of respect you describe, and when I say classic I mean decades old.

Not even Miyazaki respects them, always preferring to use actual Japanese celebrities instead of ones always in the animation industry.

Quote:
They can't even manage to sound different when playing different roles. their pronunciation is horrible and they make the anime seem campy when it's really some heavy shit.
Would you believe Yuzu and Rukia share the same voice actress? Same with Ganju and Aizen. Liam's doing three roles. Orihime's VA was also Mamimi in FLCL. Going to Ocean Group (and Inuyasha), Scott McNeil successfully voiced four different characters in Beast Wars.

Hell, in Blood+ Saya and Diva had different seiyuus while the same dub actress was used for both and pulled off two distinct voices. Steve Blum: he's Spike, he's Guilmon, he Leeron, he's Orochimaru, he's Zabuza. Of course, seiyuu rarely have to deal with playing multiple roles in one show. But if you don't recognize the voice coming from one character then you've most likely not realized that character's sharing a VA with another.

On top of that, sounding the same has never bothered me as long as they do it well. Keith David always sounds the same. James Earl Jones always sounds the same. Morgan Freeman always sounds the same. Same for most stuff from Disney despite all the praise you've given them. Yet no seiyuu can even touch them if you ask me. So lack of range should not be a problem.

And unless you have a problem with Engrish, please avoid the pronunciation thing when addressing me (Engrish is was killed any hope of me liking BL in Japanese. Besides, they say the F word more in English)

Quote:
Please don't assume I just mean "sound". I do not; I am also including acting abilities. JYB..has none imo.
Never played Devil May Cry 4 I see. Or watched Heat Guy J, which is my favorite performance from him.

Quote:
The acting in subs is much better.
No it's not. Of course, by now I'm wondering if your bias will make you prefer non-Japanese cartoons when they're in Japanese for some strange reason.

And quite bringing up Disney and Pixar please. The actors there even have the advantage of have traits of the character modeled after them on top of the animation being done after they're done recording.

ED: Of course, this is why the manga is better than the anime. You can insert any voice you choose. Me, I've always attached Justin Cook's (Yusuke Urameshi) voice to Ichigo.

And just to be fair, why not inform us of any seiyuu performances (maybe from Bleach) you actually don't like. Otherwise, I'll have to call blind bias.

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2008-08-27 at 19:19.