View Single Post
Old 2009-07-08, 17:01   Link #61
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sento View Post
LOL yeah, because you were really attached to the characters at this point in the novel, right?

That's not true. When I was reading EP1 first twilight, I wasn't caring about the characters, not yet. I was shiting bricks. EP1 didn't have real character indepth even in the novel, aside Battler, Natsuhi and Maria. I think that they will pull of character developement when they need it. Shannon and George for example, EP2 is when they shine.
I'm sorry, but there were largely room for people to be attached to Kyrie, Rudolf and Rosa. Especially Kyrie considering how she was portrayed as a caring but composed and intelligent adult, without being plagued by the money issue.
Episode 1 also gave a lot of important introduction regarding the servants (who would ever expect Gohda to be LIKE THIS with the anime alone?) and the adults in general (you did mention Natsuhi and still, despite being a big focus of ep1, they didn't give her the proper development she had with Krauss and Jessica).

A lot of minor details were actually important as I and Rias said. There are various complementary development accross the episodes: you just cannot ignore the medium ones, just because you just want to jump on the "characters of the episode" syndrome. Omitting a detail will make further ones nonsensical (the whole "colorblindness" in Higurashi is the prime example of that).

Quote:
And the whole "movements are exaggerated" thing. Jeez, in the novel is exactly the same, re-read the scene please. You got the same Hideyoshi's "It's a devil, a devil!!" and Battler even screaming more than that. Ryuukishi's tales are always "over the top" in that stuff. I don't find it bad, it's supposed to be that way.
You didn't understand what Archer meant behind it. What was exaggerated was HOW hideyoshi and Battler expressed their horror. In the VN, they "simply" vented their horror by screaming. In the anime, Hideyoshi suddenly stands up and stares at the ones outside of the shed for unknown reason. Battler WAITED for the whole thing to be said to START freaking about it and hunging his head once before screaming out loud.

That is not a content problem but an execution problem.