View Single Post
Old 2010-02-04, 20:36   Link #1985
Sol Falling

Was the bandage girl you guys are referring to Odou's (or whatever his name was; the king guy) servant? If so, we already knew she was a girl from what Zenkichi said when he met her earlier (her 'body' was soft, apparently).

I'm with _kurusu_ on how all Zen development/Medaka's emotions were planned on the beginning. Of course, those things aren't particularly exciting for me because they weren't things I was demanding in the first place, but I do think this was an obvious direction the manga would inevitably go in.

Speaking of Zenkichi and 'abnormality' though. Actually, the way abnormality is portrayed in this series, I don't think superhuman strength is inherently associated with it. Every 'abnormal' so far has been given a single specific 'abnormal' trait which distinguishes them, and if we are to go by the explanations the manga give to us that single abnormal trait is the source of all their abilities. What I'm trying to say here is, given what Zenkichi said about himself in chapter 36, it seems his abnormal trait either is or will be 'fear'. It remains to be seen how Nisio wants to play this (just btw, fear is a good trait imo; at least, I find the most primal form of it, fear of death, to be a sublime emotion) but some early hints suggest absurd preparedness/caution as well as perhaps a performance boost due to adrenalin. The point is then that I don't think Zenkichi being able to make the swords in the ceiling drop was a result of 'abnormal' or 'superhuman' strength; rather, given the 'caution' Zenkichi was highlighting about himself, it seems more plausible that Zenkichi kicked them into the ceiling in such a way that he would be more easily able to make them fall.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote