View Single Post
Old 2010-07-22, 01:43   Link #2257
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
The story matters too. GT (along with DB and DBZ fillers) added a bunch of plot holes. Admittedly Toriyama's original manga wasn't always logical, but it was consistent. The animated filler episodes + GT have too many of these, there were whole sections where Goku and Trunks were portrayed as weak as they traveled across the Galaxy and those stories were especially boring... reminiscent of an even further dragged out filler arc when Krillin, Gohan and Bulma were traveling to Namek in old DBZ. Like when Goku and Trunks are afraid of the giants on the planets in GT, on the spaceship filler Gohan and Krillin are portrayed are intimidated by space pirates, get tricked by the 'fake' Namekians (that one was especially bad) and again are shown to be afraid of a giant creature solely because of its size, completely inconsistent with the earlier portrayal of Piccolo discovering large size to be obsolete back in Dragon Ball. Wow, upon examination it appears GT actually took crappy filler from DBZ and fleshed it out some more.

Then again, the Baby villain really wasn't unique at all, he was just an amalgamation of past filler/movie villains without anything new to offer. Super 17 was, what exactly? A complete rip off of a villain that already appeared, with Dr. Gero dying AGAIN. Hell, GT was so unoriginal they opened "Hell" to let all of the old villains out! You say DB was just one strong guy after another, but I disagree, I'm not saying it has a spectacularly deep plot but the original storyline is FUN it isn't boring like the GT/fillers. All of the villains were unique in some way, it started with an army, then rival martial artists, then the "demon king", then Goku's long lost alien race, then a galactic tyrant, followed by cyborgs/robots, then a wizard and his creation. All of these villains were different in some way, there were unique storylines that for the most part made sense with one another. GT doesn't offer this, nor do anime fillers. Now personally, I'm not some canon nazi because I've enjoyed some anime original endings before, but in the case of Dragonball the staff should have just stuck to Toriyama's original work, imperfect but vastly superior to what they produced.
^ THIS is what I was looking for, a well articulated and thought out response I don't remember who said "GT is crap" while implying that everyone knew that was a fact, period. < That train of thought leaves no room for discussion or to question the reasoning behind such statement.

At any rate I see what you r saying, basically plot holes and inconsistencies built all throughout DB and DBZ got magnified when the guys who did GT took those inconsistencies to create filler portions in GT. I couldn't agree more with that statement, that is also the reason why I wouldn't rate DB highly as a whole but the battles that follow each filler, whether they'd be recycled or not were amusing so it kinda levels out to a watchable/bearable level.
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote