View Single Post
Old 2010-10-27, 12:05   Link #2049
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
The problem here is that Ranka never states that she is sure how her singing will affect the Vajra. She several times states that she thinks she can solve the differences between the Vajra and the humans, but it is left unclear how much of that is simply hopeful assumptions by her.

But, quite honestly, that wasn't even the important point in the post which led us here, the point I tried to made there was that she didn't state this ( peace talks to the Vajra ) to Alto as her main motivation for leaving Frontier. To him she said that it was about taking Ai-kun back to his people, which is an incredibly dense thing to say to someone whose best friend was just killed by that very same race.
That may not have been an important point for you, but it was the ENTIRE point for me.

And anyways, she didn't say that it was SOLELY about taking Ai-kun back to his people, she said "At least [せめて, "semete"] I want to take Ai-kun back to his people" which indicates (in both English and Japanese) that it's ONE of her goals, but not the most important.

Again: "I've been able to piece together small fragments of my past. It's scary, but I have to find out about it no matter what. That's why I will go. And I want to at least bring Ai-kun back to where his people are."

The last sentence is a total non-sequitur unless she has more planned. And I contend that's it's a possibility that she would've been successful if Grace hadn't intervened. But at this point, only Leon knew of Grace's involvement, yes?

(I'll grant you the point that she didn't communicate her plans well to Alto. Like, AT ALL. Trying to calm him down by getting him to make a paper airplane was a strategy that totally failed.)