View Single Post
Old 2010-11-30, 12:53   Link #186
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Well, she's also perfectly friendly and polite to her anti-otaku classmate at the start of the second episode, she's pleasant and giddy when talking to her friend over the phone during the first, and she remains civil to Ayase during their fight in episode five even though her response to finding out Kirino's an otaku is pretty harsh. Hopefully we'll see her interact with some others throughout the last few episodes; my gut feeling is that in general she's probably a pleasant enough person and there needs to be some specific reason to change that, but I'm not going to contest the point because there's not enough material to work with right now to argue either way.
I agree that we can't make a determination about Kirino's "true" nature at this point. My opinion on the matter is that the examples you cited are situations where Kirino cares more about her image than she does about expressing her true feelings and therefore she acts more normal around people who don't yet know about her hobby. I could be wrong though. I just don't get why anybody would "act" nasty when that's not actually how you feel. There are exceptions like the scene where Ayase "catches" Kirino at the comic convention and she denies knowing Saori and Kuroneko but even then it represents an unpleasant level of selfishness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Kirino is still a tsundere, albeit an extremely tsun one. The broadest explanation for tsundere is that their speech belies their true feeling. And Kirino qualifies that, while it not as easy to spot, you can still find hints that Kirino's action and speech is not inductive of what she feel. And while I don't love her character, not in LN and even less in anime, I still finds her to be cute at certain scene and that''s enough for me to not dislike her and apparently for the author, that's enough for Kyosuke as well.

I'm not going to use the LN because that's too easy (and against spoiler rule), but for example, in episode 4 when Kanako and Ayase visits Kirino's room and Kyosuke was next door. Kirino began to rant and degrading Kyosuke only after Ayase complimented him, but after Kanako starts to degrading Kyosuke as well, note that Kirino suddenly shuts up and didn't talk. Those are little hints that Kirino doesn't hat Kyosuke as much as she claims to be (or she believe herself to be). There an Chinese saying love and hate is only separates by a line and there are plenty of anime that shows that.
There's an argument to be made for that stance. I'm not sure what I really believe at this point but for the sake of argument let's say that instead of those actions representing Kirino's true affection for Kyouske they instead represents how she thinks she should feel. She thinks that sisters should love their brothers but for whatever reason whether it's selfishness or some event in the past, she just doesn't feel that affection for Kyouske. I guess the end result would be the same whether she wants to like him but doesn't yet or whether she likes him but isn't ready to admit it.