View Single Post
Old 2010-11-30, 13:22   Link #187
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
I'd argue against her sweet side being the default. The way I see it is she's only sweet to people whom she either wants something from or can't get away with being mean to. She ranges from indifferent to cold towards Saori and she's openly hostile towards Kuroneko and Kyouske. Who else do we really see her interact with? Her parents? Teachers? The only times we ever see her act sweet is when she's dealing with somebody in a position of power or she wants something. I'm inclined to believe her sweet act is just that, an act.

Now, that isn't to say I think the writer isn't allowed to create a character that is 100% tsun and no dere who acts sweet but is secretly completely self-centered. That's a legitimate character type. The issue I have is twofold. First, the idea that such a character should be sympathetic baffles me. If the author wants us to dislike Kirino at this point then mission accomplished but I was under the impression based on the title and premise that we're supposed to want Kyouske and Kirino to grow closer together and I personally have no desire for anything like that. If this was a VN I'd be rushing to the Manami route and never looking back.

Secondly, I question people's characterization of Kirino as tsundere. I feel like we're working under the assumption that any eligible female character is presumed to have a soft spot for the protagonist unless proven otherwise. I don't see any sign of Kirino having a dere side towards Kyouske other than the assumption that a sister should love her brother and the fact that she's neck deep (or i guess based on the first episode over her head) in siscon games. I don't buy it at this point. Maybe I'm biased because I don't like tsunderes and rarely find the payoff worth it. But nothing is worth the level of abuse Kyouske takes from Kirino.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's the impression I had too.

Which is partly why I expected Kirino to become nicer/less abusive over time.

But if she doesn't change, I also have no desire for Kyousuke and Kirino to grow closer together. Why would I want to wish such a thing on a decent guy like Kyousuke? He's done nothing to deserve a long-term abusive relationship like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
I can understand that perspective, and I agree with it to a degree. In this case, it is her insecurity about how the world perceives her based on her 2D game experience, which she does not want to duplicate in real life. She is afraid that any brotherly/sisterly bond would be perceived as unhealthy based on the Japanese culture and view of siscon games. Which then leads to what you mention about how she does not know how real normal platonic sibling relationships are like.

In effect, she reflects more of her real life circumstances with her only experience, which are the games she play.

Although I understand her better, thank you, it still does not excuse her behavior towards her brother. In retrospect, these are all selfish behaviors on her part to feel secure, but it only adds more to her frustrations inside.

I also agree with you that she does not want to give up control. But then, our opinions differ from there. I perceive her as not want to give up control to the one who has been below her all her life. She does not want to admit that he is better than she is in some areas. It pains her to actually have to ask him for help, hence in the last episode, she declared that there will only be one more life lesson left. She felt she does not need him, and annoyed that he is actually useful.

Well, that is my opinion, as well.

Actually, I see another flaw in her that I did not think about before. She is a fake in the way she acts friendly towards everyone else. She has to put up a front in order to fit in and pretend to be the perfect model student. She is upset at Kyosuke and worried about him spilling the beans because he knows her true self. Also, she acts the most like her true self when she is with Kuroneko and does not need to put up an act.

There are ways to be truly friendly and also gain respect, like what Kyosuke does. Her way of doing things actually will make her truly lonely one day if she does not change her ways (from what I have seen in real life).
@ all above - You all have very interesting opinions on Kirino. IMHO, I believe... eerrrr..... maybe i mostly FEEL that she is so much like Ami Kawashim, but with the reverse double essences of the "True self" and the "True Fake" . My question is which is which? Mostly I FEEL that she just a FAKE with the ones she truly loves, but the TRUE with the rest of the world. Look at last episode one how she reacted after the meeting. Com-on! She is truly insecure as her TRUE self, and in this one a FAKE with others.

Then again Saori, and Kuroneko, have double lives as well. Saori... very interesting... Kuroneko... she got me hook on the show now. Look at Kyosuke, he seems the one that does not have a double life, but then again... look how his parents, and Ayase perceived him atm. And, look at how he behaves with Manami's house... so different from his own.

It's seems that everyone has a double life, one way or another, like it or not, I'm falling in love with the show Well, if i ever met a man as kind as Kyosuke, I would never be a bitch to him lol .....
unless he breaks my heart or trust, i will break his B@lls...