View Single Post
Old 2011-04-20, 16:39   Link #1127
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
There's a motif running through the show, of people making decision for others without consulting them. The arch goes from Sayaka healing Kamijou's hand to Kyubey sacking mahou shoujous for the sake of the universe. Mami's act lie somewhere inbetween. (I'd also note that Kyouko - in a later timeline - made the same decision [or at least a very similar one in a different context] for herself that Mami made for her here.)

Basically, I think that the show incourages us to take into account other people's points of view. Pretty much all the characters fail in some way, and they have their own reasons: Kyubey's too bureaucratic; Sayaka's too anxious; Mami's too upset; Madoka's too insecure...
This is a really interesting point. I wonder how do you think Madoka and Homura's promise in timeline 3 fits into this idea of yours. I mean, it's true that Homura's original wish was her making a decision for Madoka without Madoka's consent, which fits nicely with your take. But it's also true that Homura eventually gave up on that wish, finally accepting Madoka's fate. But then, Madoka changed it all, asking Homura not to give up, to go back and save her....

I wonder if this makes any difference. Will Homura succeed because, unlike the others, she isn't forcing her decision over Madoka but instead acting on Madoka's request (albeit, a Madoka from another timeline)??

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-04-20 at 16:54.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote