View Single Post
Old 2011-04-20, 16:57   Link #1128
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
There's a difference between the 'negative' you seem to be bringing up here and the 'tragic' which was the word I actually used. No, of course I agree that there's nothing really bad or wrong about Mami's character; I'm not judging her as a human. However, I think you could say there is some pretty damn tragic irony in the fact that Mami tried to kill everybody and was herself killed by Madoka, wouldn't you say? From my perspective, it's pretty clear that Mami couldn't trust that the girls would handle the awful new reality they'd stumbled upon calmly and rationally without blaming her. It was an act of self-interest and self-defense, borne of guilt and insecurity. So then, the point I was making really just was--no matter how reasonable or human or understandable her feelings might have been--it's still a damned tragedy that Mami snapped since, if it weren't for those feelings of guilt and insecurity, those deaths really didn't need to happen.
Then I misunderstood what you intended to say, or you worded it poorly; either way, I was under the impression that you were using Mami's actions as an indication of her overall mindset. If that isn't what you meant to say, my bad.

But I still disagree on the point of her actions being borne from a lack of trust since, while it is plausible that may have been a factor, it ultimately doesn't appear to be her motivation. And there is still a case to be made for the fact that, whether or not her actions were made in a proper frame of mind or if they are morally justifiable, she really had every right to come to the conclusion she did. And she isn't necessarily wrong, at least not in the sense that (perceived) mercy killing is probably the best way out. In this case it comes around to Dawnstorm's point, where it was a case of her making a decision without consulting the others rather than it being some selfish action.

No denying the tragedy in it all, though; not sure where or if I implied that I was disputing that, but I'm not.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote