Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-19, 00:19   Link #193
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The mere fact that Taichi was wearing a Batman shirt in Episode 3 made me give his character a second chance.

In fact, I played a mental game with myself that made this episode extra enjoyable for me - I imagined Taichi, Arata, and Chihaya as Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman as kids hanging out together and playing this game together. It actually kind of works since Taichi is the all-around smart one who's willing to be a dick at times, Arata wears glasses a lot and is faster than a speeding bullet in getting those cards and he has a deep respect for a beloved parental figure, and Chihaya always stands up for what she thinks is right and she wants her two male teammates to get along with one another.

That being said, I honestly found Episode 3 a bit overdone in the melodrama department (I know I might take some heat for this, but I have to be honest here ).

Just so much crying, and so much shouting... I don't doubt that kids are sometimes like that, but this seemed a bit excessive to me.

Episode 3 was still a good episode for me, as I tend to prefer overacting to underacting (the former is more memorable and attention-grabbing at least), but I would have preferred it if they had dialed things down a notch or two.

Overall, I'd give Episode 3 a 8/10. On the whole, a very good opening arc for Chihayafuru.