View Single Post
Old 2011-10-31, 16:24   Link #44
ujiuji

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
At least the technobabble can be defined
Yes, most Mechafans -and the military- already found out that humanoid giant robots are not world's best weapon
but the background for its technology -if well thought out- makes for interesting theories

whereas in psychological stories you can glue lala- and cuckooland together and still it makes sense
because you can infinitely pull traumas and psychosises psychological rejection/acceptance
out of your butt to discuss a character's motivation for his/her actions

So those Mecha anime that aren't easily poked full of holes are a lot harder to make then the 'wet finger in the air' 'discuss till you turn blue' 'undefined' stories
Characters that feel real, with believable motivations are hard to create too, which is why you don't see them as often as I'd like. If you can pull half a dozen contradictory theories "out of your butt" as to why they act as they do there's probably something wrong with the writing. Or maybe you're just deluded or a literature student

Nothing wrong with a bit of technobabble here and there if you like it. My problem was that before I'd seen any mecha anime I gained the impression that the main focus of, and interest in these shows was the mecha's awesomeness and fine technical specifications. Which put me off for a long time. Someone starting out today probably wouldn't form such a mistaken idea.

Last edited by ujiuji; 2011-10-31 at 16:32. Reason: Attribution.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote