View Single Post
Old 2011-11-01, 15:17   Link #47
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujiuji View Post
Characters that feel real, with believable motivations are hard to create too, which is why you don't see them as often as I'd like.
Actually, you never see them, usually it's one certain trait that defines a 'complicated' character

Quote:
If you can pull half a dozen contradictory theories "out of your butt" as to why they act as they do there's probably something wrong with the writing. Or maybe you're just deluded or a literature student
I meant for the minute details 'tech-savvy' otaku have with mecha, some people apply to psychological shows as well
trying to 'read' certain characters 1-dimensional 'flaw' as if it were a world to explore and map

Oh, in practice, I never pull things out of my butt, but in theory I'm World's best magician

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a bit of technobabble here and there if you like it. My problem was that before I'd seen any mecha anime I gained the impression that the main focus of, and interest in these shows was the mecha's awesomeness and fine technical specifications. Which put me off for a long time. Someone starting out today probably wouldn't form such a mistaken idea.
I'll agree
When you're 10 years old, a giant robot kicking the crap out of planets really has no equal
and when technology still looks like modern day magic, it gathers a very 'analysing' fanbase
but these days, mecha shows play second fiddle to "thinking" or "reality" type of shows
the robots are old and outdated (or soon will be), so makers of these shows try to only use them as icing on a cake, or if not, certainly not for an older audience

Me, I still enjoy Robots applying 50,000kN to dislodge a titanium mangan fortified, 45 inch caliber,
3 axis-targeting, pulse width modulated, Ion plasma, repetitive, smoothbore cannon
and then by a 53.7 angle, hurdle it exactly into the location of the 7000.07 tonne flying battlefortress bridge, where 59 crewmembers
(including 3 navigators, 5 communication officers, 2 operations officers and their assistant ensign,
1 helmsman, 2 security agents, head physician and wanted collaborator, oh, the second in command died 3 episodes ago
and apparently hasn't been replaced) and the main antagonist, die in a 567 megaton explosion which has a radius blast of 367050 miles
the protagonist only barely escapes by applying 20% more power taken from the lifesupportsystem taking him to mach 29.34

AKA:: throw the gun into the bad guy's face, then get the hell out of there

instead of todays 'mecha shows' where the tormented girl, who 7 years ago lost her chilhood friend in a horrible accident (spontatious selfcombustion),
but now has a crush on a boy, -who walks around disguised as a girl who acts like a tomboy-
can only come to terms with her feelings driving to the mountain lookout point which holds so many favourable
memories of her haunted past on her Vespa