Thread: Licensed Persona 4 (TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-08, 17:25   Link #2028
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Truthfully for me, Yuu keeps getting upgrades and new personas for no reason what so ever. They just appear out of nowhere and he magically knows them all.

Why doesn't anyone else get any new Personas'? How exactly are they worse than him? If anything Yuu is a very plain character, especially as a main. He barely has any personality, I truthfully have no idea why everyone in the show loves him.

He is not bad and has his moments but over all nothing outstanding at all.
I think Igor already mentions this, but Yu is special as he is 'the fool', like the number zero he's empty but at the same time holds infinite potential - that's why unlike the others he can wield multiple personas, even fusing them together to get a stronger one with the help of the Velvet Room.

Well, that's the in-universe reason at least. In-game it's because Yu's the main character and just having one persona will make it really boring without all the flexibility of the customization. If it's any consolation, the anime throws the game's balance out of the window, in the game the rest of the team is nowhere near as useless in the anime and is around the same level as Yu, his main advantage is just the flexibility in changing personas.

Also, while your argument is pretty much true for the game, I think the anime did a great job to develop Yu's character over time. Just because he's very deadpan and nothing really fazes him, I think deep down he got as much character as the rest of the team.