View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 10:45   Link #30
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I don't think its despicable. Anime is a niche product. As with niche products, it is sold in low volumes at high prices. The combinations of a few factors in the western market allowed anime to be sold at higher volumes and lower prices for a while, but that obviously isn't working out for them, since anime isn't mainstream enough for that.
Even during anime's peak in the US, merchandise was the main source of anime-related income in the US. Merchandise had always been a major force in what garners revenue in Japan. Ever since Gundam and Eva proved merch power, it's been a standard. There's plenty of people who don't buy a series and buy merchandise of it instead. As for why people aren't buying in the numbers they used to, merch is part of it but living expenses and shift in content have a lot to do with it to. If you take a look at what titles have sold most in recent years, it's pre-existing big names like Eva, DBZ, Pokemon, Bebop, etc. The fact that shows around for a decade or more now are outselling current material surely means something.

Quote:
So you can't own every anime you like. It makes life harder if you are a collector short on cash, but for everyone else, I think it improve things. It means more money for the anime companies, which means more budget to put out quality anime , or possibly enough budget to take more risks and put out series that aren't guaranteed to be popular (like most of the stuff the mainstream western fanbase likes, hard sci fi, and other niches).
Marketing a series properly and making good but smart purchases can do just as much for a company. If Aniplex's model was truly the way, then why are Sentai, NIS and Funi still able to expand their range in these times? Not everything they pick up sells, but they have improved significantly at how they market shows, what they pay for them and understanding what paying fans want. ADV overspent on titles and it cost them. Bandai US poorly marketed big titles that should have been big sellers and went bust on them. If you make an effort and let people know shows exist, you will find buyers. If you think the fandom knows the majority of the titles out there at present, that's an illusion. A good deal of people still don't know where to find titles from certain timepoints and it's always been one of the major failings of the industry outside Japan. Streaming current material is helping bridge that gap, but not everyone uses the net. Plenty of people are still tied to traditional mediums. Madman were able to market Vampire Knight in Australia well and get good sales of it mainly from getting considerable TV exposure for it. Even in modern times, some traditional advertising methods still work. Not everyone traverses cyberspace like we do.

Quote:
If anything it is quiet acceptance of piracy. It is them coming out to say that "we realize that not many are buying what we produce, so we are going to ask for more money out of those who are able and willing to pay and let everyone enjoy our creation gratis."
I find that pathetic and I also find that to only be partly true at best about the fandom. There's plenty of paying fans out there. But people set limits or standards on what they buy. Most what buy everything they like. They'll confine it to their top tier titles for the greater part, which makes sense. And adults have spread opinions on what they like. Consensus isn't as big as some people might want to believe. The brands associated with some licensing companies is also a deterring factor for some fans. And anime fans generally aren't fans of only anime. Manga, games and merchandise often factor into their spending habits too. And I'm sure other hobbies/lifestyle factors take up money too. All again limiting what people can spend. The notion the majority of people simply don't want to pay is overblown. Yes, there are some people who would never pay. Buy I know plenty who buy regularly and some who have invested tens of thousands into their collection, but buy smart. The mention of Aniplex's model to these people makes them laugh and unanimously say they would NEVER buy ANY title under such a model. I get that response every time I've asked someone locally.

Quote:
You can't by yourself. You need to convince the entire western fanbase to put their money where their mouths are and convince the companies that anime is mainstream enough to be sold as a mainstream product instead of a niche one.
Perhaps fans don't want the medium to be mainstream? The suggestion anime would go mainstream and be a cultural factor globally to that degree is fanciful and then some. Remember, we are talking about a product where elitism and ego-pandering are big factors in driving sales within Japan. If you bring the overpriced model overseas, that's the kind of behaviour within the paying fandom you will see more prevlaent and people with common sense will stop buying. And is that what we really want within the fandom and industry? I hope not. People are entitled to like what they want within the laws and morals of where they live and to have the right to pay a sensible price for a product. It's up to the companies to compel them to buy their products and to devise marketing strategies and budgets to bring about such an end. Good companies will be able to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm, more like its an acknowledgement that there's a "patron class" and a "peanut gallery". Like many other niche industries, they're just explicitly saying - "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford us".
Tthat mentality to make their material exclusive will encourage the qualities that make the fandom somewhat resented within Japan. I doubt that's what licensing companies in the West want.

It is worth noting the anime fandom isn't the only type of fandom experiencing exclusive prices. Plenty of sports and their teams are very costly to be able to see them live now. Pay-per-view oriented fandoms are ealso fairly exclusive and they survive. But it's also worth noting that in those cases, merchandising and marketing play a very big part too.

And in the end, if the BDs become unobtainable, is settling for the DVD version that bad in the end? At least you can still watch the show. I can tolerate the picture and sound not being as pristine if it means I can still watch the show.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2012-04-17 at 11:06.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote