View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 15:15   Link #35
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Strike View Post
I really don't know how the tv business works in Japan, but I do know a thing about it in the US and I can say that tv shows here don't implicitly depend on dvd sales to survive. In another words if it can happen here then it can be made to work in Japan.
The two situations are really quite different. American DVD sales of TV programming are "gravy." The production costs are covered in the initial network run. DVD sales, syndication, and overseas distribution are all supplementary profit streams, but most if not all the upfront costs are paid for by the initial network run.

Japanese anime production committees actually buy time from the television networks to show their programs. They may be able to sell some availabilities to advertisers, but often the ads are for ancillary products like OST CDs associated with the anime themselves. Production committees rely almost entirely on sales of DVDs/BDs, the adapted manga and novels, and merchandise to make a profit.

Do an "advanced search" for threads with "industry" in them if you're interested.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-04-17 at 15:28.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote