Thread: Licensed Akb0048
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-09, 00:08   Link #588
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm probably too old to make this observation, but I don't see any greater exposure given to Korean groups in the US than I do to Japanese ones. I don't see how any of that pertains to why AKB0048 isn't licensed in the US. I suspect most Americans outside the Asian-American community have no knowledge of any of these groups.

I also don't think the adaptation part makes much sense either. I'd bet the vast majority of Crunchyroll viewers have only a very limited knowledge about which shows are adaptations and which are not. I certainly wouldn't know without some research that Tsuritama is an anime-original and Natsume Yuujinchou is not. And I'm probably a lot better-informed about matters like this than the average Crunchyroll subscriber. Yet both of those are carried on Crunchyroll, while AKB0048 is not. As an outside observer I'd have guessed that AKB0048 would be a much more popular show on Crunchyroll than Tsuritama or Space Brothers. Wouldn't the mostly teen-aged audience for Crunchy be a priori more interested in a show about cute girls and idol singers than a show about a thirty-year-old guy who wants to become an astronaut, or four boys who take up fishing?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote