Thread: Licensed Akb0048
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-09, 00:46   Link #591
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
I'd guess it mostly has to do with the channels AKB0048 is on. I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll deals directly with TV stations to secure the streaming rights
Crunchy has been pretty diligent about carrying noitaminA telecasts after Funimation dropped them, and they're telecast by FujiTV. I always thought the streaming rights were purchased from the production committees, and that the stations were involved only to the extent that they had an interest in the show via membership on the committee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Crunchyroll claims they bid on every anime that comes out, so the fact that they didn't get it suggests the producers aren't interested or want too much money.
I tend to lean to Utsuro no Hako's theory, but that's what led me to ask about why they seem so indifferent to YouTube streaming. Demanding too high a royalty for carriage on Crunchy then ignoring pirated versions on YouTube doesn't make much sense to me from a business perspective. At least if you licensed the show to Crunchyroll or Hulu you'd get some cash in return. Allowing fansubs to be carried on YouTube means reaching a much larger audience but getting nothing in return in terms of rights fees. Perhaps they believe the much wider exposure on YouTube will pay off in greater sales of albums, etc.? That might make sense for AKB's management, but what about Satelight? For the typical anime, does the animation studio share in the revenues from ancillary products like music CDs? Even if that's not generally true, I could see AKB0048 being a special case. It doesn't seem implausible that profits from sales of the music could outstrip profits from DVD/BD sales.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-09 at 00:58.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote