View Single Post
Old 2012-05-28, 10:01   Link #12
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Probably depends on what you do. I think I would enjoy it purely for the fact that I'd lived history, but I'd see myself being one of those hermit types, that sit on their mountain and watch the world go by.

Speaking of vampires, I always liked that girl, Helena, from Hellsing that just wanted to sit in her library and read as she had done for the last few hundred years or whatever. That would be me I think.

Although, regardless of you became bored or not, it would have a profound psychological effect on you. It would be different for everyone but some degree of apathy towards the rest of humanity, I think would be inevitable. But it would depend on the person.

I always liked a simple analogy or thought experiment; consider dogs. 15 years is a good life, 105 in dog years. For a human 100 years is pretty tops to - 700 years by a dogs reckoning. If a dog could reason and communicate we'd be seen as nigh immortal to them, and it hurts us to see them die (dogs do have emotions and attachment as well). From that I guess you could say time really is relative. I'd probably also say it would be more the emotional impact of traumatic events piling up then time itself bearing down on you that would break you. But avoid those events, or distancing yourself (Emotional detachment) would probably stay off negative effects.

Dogs live fast, we live slow, Galapagos tortoises live even slower (200 yr life spans?).

Meh, the topic is a little to deep for me at 1am.