View Single Post
Old 2012-07-02, 13:55   Link #12
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Took me a while to get my thoughts together for a review, I'm still thinking so there might be some edits later on.

Animation Quality: 8 Technically the show was pretty well done. I liked the character designs and it was very pretty to look at, with the finale definitely being a stand out episode. There were some issues when they blended in the CG, but overall it was well done.

Voices Actors: 8.5 The casting was great. A lot of good performances from the cast, including Kana Hanazawa, Daiuske Namikawa, Kosuke, Toriumi, Ayumi Fujimura, Yui Ogura, Hiroki Yasumoto, and others. On the negative side, Yuki Kaji was simply playing Yuki Kaji. He's got range, I've heard some good stuff from him, but he didn't really show me anything that I haven't seen from his other performances. But the two standouts of this series are undoubtedly Yuuichi Nakamura and Keiji Fujiwara, they were excellent.

Script: I'm pretty much on the same page as Vena. The first half of the show was pretty good, but when the second half started there was a huge decline.

Soundtrack: 9 Only negative I can say is that there was nothing really good enough to push it into perfect score range.

Editing: Nothing I can say will top what miketyson said. A quick rundown: Things felt jerky and rushed. It felt like the show was trying to run before it could walk and ended up tripping over itself multiple times before it crossed the finish line.

Enjoyment: 7 during the first half, 5 during the second half Evol started out knowing when and when not to take itself too seriously. The first half felt fun, it introduced us to a lot of the characters like Andy, Mix, Yunoha, Sazanka and it had a charm. Stripping your clothes off enhances your reflexes, I can't make this up. Then the second half brought a much more serious tone. With Evol people have said before if you take the story too seriously then you won't have much fun and that's true. Evol is a spectacle, a lot like a Hollywood blockbuster.

I've been rambling on for a while now so basically what I'm trying to say is that Evol was very fun at first, but with the decline of the second season then fun factor went down. It did give us a lot to talk about on the forums though.

Emotional Investment: 5.5 Like GoldenLand said, Evol felt like it was trying to be deep but often times it didn't know what tone it was going for. The reincarnation cycle is very serious subject in the universe but I can't lie, I laughed my ass off at the Pollon reveal. I just couldn't take that seriously. The central couple of Amata and Mikono never really gave me a reason to root for it. I get that they are the main characters but that's not reason enough for me to wanna see them get together and see love conquer all. The supporting cast I got really got nothing negative to say about them. They come off as very likable and I easily got invested in characters like Andy. In fact, I thought I was gonna hate Andy because I personally can't stand comic relief characters if they aren't done right. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. He was developed well, was genuinely funny and I came to care about his relationship with Mix. For me characters go a long way if I'm gonna be invested in a story, I didn't get that with the main characters, save for Mykage who I actually started rooting for in the end, but the supporting cast definitely did their job.

Main Characters: 3
Supporting Characters: 8.5

Overall: 6 Blame it on expectations or just an utterly disappointing second half but Evol comes off Average. The art style, majority of the voice acting, soundtrack, solid but fun first half, cast of supporting characters, and pretty good villain are good points. The weak second half, story that takes itself too seriously at times, poorly developed main characters and lack of an emotional investment in the end, bring an anime that I thought was gonna be really good just down to Average territory.