Thread: Crunchyroll Dog Days' (Dash) [2nd season]
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-02, 00:15   Link #2067
justsomeguy

Huh, can't really decide what to think of this show. If I think about it, I can't really say that there is no plot, since the character introductions, the rabbit bandits, and Union Fest are all plot. I really think that those elements could have all been integrated together to form a single, simple, yet much stronger storyline rather than the loose episodic structure we got. And god forbid, skipping over much of Union Fest was a terrible decision that reduced the action (and especially cut out more opportunities for Nanami to be awesome. She's supposed to be better than Cinque, but he and Becky got more focus. Heck, her duels against Cinque during Union Fest got reduced to contextless flashbacks!). Reducing the amount of slice of life and the constant gushing of the humans over how cute the furries are would have been preferable.

I also would have preferred better character development. Many of the old characters get too little focus, with Eclair being the only exception. And yet the new people themselves are not developed well either, despite the attention they got. Nanami is basically a female clone of Cinque. Becky is halfway between them and Millhi (and has the creepiest henshin ever). Isuka is a swordsmith, but is otherwise too similar to Hina. Adele and Valerio get introduced, but don't contribute much (because there's no storyline to contribute to). Couvert, we're told that she's learning to be a better leader for Pastillage, but we don't see much of that (given that Flonyard is a happy peaceful land, we don't see her struggling much at all. She's not much behind Millhi or Leo.) Pastillage being the newly introduced nation needed more focus in general. There's now also too many characters. We're getting close to Strikers syndrome. If the director and writers really have an amazing third season planned, they better have two cours ready.

6/10. Had the potential to be great, but the writers' total lack of ambition and effort to make this any more than a filler season impacted the quality. Integrating the plot elements into even a simplistic storyline would naturally have also helped the character development and interactions.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote