View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 22:17   Link #396
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, I realize that some people don't believe anything that was in the official statement, so there's nothing that can be said in that case.

But if you assume that there is at least some truth to what was said, then there was the box of what was planned and intended by the staff, and there are specific actions and behaviours that went outside that planned box. The people who will get the most blame (in some sort of official capacity) will be the ones who went outside the planned box (even if the whole thing was a bad idea from the get-go).

Now, we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. I don't think it's likely that *any* of the people involved, or anyone else in the anime industry for that matter, will try this sort of stunt again any time soon. Even if you think it was smoke and mirrors (there are always politics at play), for a production committee to have to make an official statement and apologize for earlier statement made by the staff... that's some serious stuff right there, even if it doesn't seem like it to some people. People may not be fired because of it (at least not publicly/officially), but don't think what happened won't be remembered in the industry. People who know more than we do will have their own opinions, even if they're keeping their mouths shut to preserve solidarity now. You never know what sort of information may come out later on down the road...

(This sort of reminds me how a lot of Western fiction is based on around a concept of "criminals coming to justice", with a strong emphasis on the link between crime and punishment. But I've found that a lot of Japanese fiction doesn't have that same bent; rather than having a criminal come to justice, there's an emphasis on dealing with failure privately, being shamed, and changing your ways. That's so much less satisfying from my Western point of view (I think "he/she got away with it!"), but I'm not sure that Japanese culture feels the same way about that. Having this get escalated all the way to the production committee level with that sort of official statement is probably the most that could be realistically achieved in this sort of case. Hence why so much of the fervour died down when that happened.)