View Single Post
Old 2012-10-15, 12:25   Link #941
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Which proper officer would instead of allowing the victim to calm down, proceed to level a weapon and said victim and proceed to pull the trigger?
The ones who come to the reasonable conclusion that the victim would do severe violence on others before calming down. I am quite certain that police officers are allowed to use physical violence to subdue violent victims--including and especially if the victim is about to harm himself. That real world police officers' nonlethal methods of subjugation rarely comes from the end of a gun says more about the reliability of tranquilizers and tasers compare to old fashioned grappling. If we had methods as reliable and as safe as film depictions of tranquilizers and tasers, I suspect the police would be expected to grapple with suspects much less often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
It was jefferson (who modifieed the quote in different speeches), do your homework.
I suggest that you do your homework instead. Your attributed quote is quite contrary to Jefferson inaugural speech, which contains this little gem: "a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government; and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities." Your claim is quite odd when attributed to a man who is here advocating trading a little liberty for a little safety.