View Single Post
Old 2012-10-31, 04:22   Link #161
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
On a personal note, I do sometimes lament how the relatively recent rise in translated (legal and illegal) novels and manga have put a dampening effect on anime discussion. So many people come to discuss anime now pre-armed with all sorts of spoilers and info, which reduces a lot of discussion about characters and plot events to "I wonder how it will compare to what I already know from the novel/manga".

It's not something that can be escaped, but attempts to mitigate it are difficult since many people who are already spoiled have no interest in speculative debate, since they already know what will happen and they are more prone to dominate discussion with talk of what has changed between source and adaptation, and not what has happened in only the anime. A lot of the mystery and wonder has diminished in anime discussion as a result, and it makes discussing non-original anime very unappealing sometimes.

If people wonder about why anime discussion here and elsewhere has changed so much, I personally point to the widely translated source material and the industries reliance on adapting that material over original content as one of the big culprits.
I would love to say, "See, I told you so", except that I refrained from saying exactly that so as to avoid stirring up unnecessary flames. Everything you observe above are key reasons I stay away from many anime threads in AnimeSuki nowadays. It has simply become too hard to avoid being spoilt, especially in dedicated sub-forums where normal spoiler rules don't apply.

There's that, and also the fact I don't have the time to patch together disparate discussion threads from multiple sources, an issue that's less pronounced in a single thread. Anyway, such comments are more relevant in the feedback sub-forum, so I'll just stop here.