Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-11, 23:19   Link #418
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Now I'm always trying to be open-minded about new technology, but so far Windows 8 hasn't really impressed me for two reasons. Please convince me!

1) Let's say I want to find something like the Control Panel or the Calculator. It takes a wonder to navigate anywhere to find it on Windows 8. I'm also not fond of memorizing more shortcut keys because of the lack of a Start Menu.

2) Let's say I just hit Start then type in "contr" and find it immediately. Windows 7 already has the "typing in to get what you want" so how is this any different? It just seems like Windows 8 removed the functionality of the menu and the type-in-the-program-you-want "feature" was already there in Windows 7.

There are more things Windows 8 has that's true, but I don't use dual monitors. Admittedly the desktop in Windows 8 is better. I'm just not sure if it outweighs the lack of a Start Menu for some people. Of course, there's no use for me arguing that Windows 8 sucks, because in a few years if I'm not used to it, I might get into trouble with my job. I just don't think it's a needed improvement over Windows 7. Or well, I just don't think it's needed to force Windows 8 onto new computers (and just make it tablets only). Are there some functionality enhancements for Windows 8? If all that's being offered is a "cooler desktop" and a "new sleek look", then I'm just not sure it's for me.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote