View Single Post
Old 2012-12-16, 18:38   Link #258
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Those words remind me of the computer salesman that sold us our first PC, confidently telling us this was "one of the fastest PC's" and that we'd "be good for the next twenty years."

Not even five years later we were already looking to upgrade.
The guy was a salesman. He obviously had to make an exaggeration to make the sale.

Quote:
The thought alone that the gaming industry would somehow be left behind with this gem of technology available is ridiculous. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo would be racing to be the first to develop a working system.
Kind of makes me think of the space race between America and the Soviet Union. It's a bit silly to imagine such an industry to be competitive to such a huge degree, but then again when I think about their goal being to make as great an income as possible, yeah I suppose they would go that far.

Quote:
An opinion I respect, but you bring it as if it is true for everyone and the reason why the advancements in something as simple as cloth physics is bad storytelling.
I was sure I didn't but maybe I didn't watch my words well enough. Also, no the cloth physics thing was more-or-less an attack against my suspension of disbelief, not the writing style of SAO's author. There's other factors of the series that are WAY more guilty of that.

Quote:
Nonsense. Naked Night Elves dancing on mail boxes has been in WoW since it's launch and has never, ever left. A reason for clothing damage is relatively simple. Equipment in almost any MMO has durability damage, the rending and tearing brings this damage to a visible spectrum.
Oh I don't doubt making clothes break is impossible in a game, I've seen it before, only it doesn't really work as realistically as it did in this SAO episode. The only real game-like thing about it was it disappearing after it got ripped off. Everything else was way too detailed for it to be game-like.