View Single Post
Old 2012-12-17, 19:03   Link #332
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
One Piece has its own newspaper? Do they come with life sized bounties?

It was only a temporary thing (one issue every Thursday from November 22nd to December 13th of this year). There wasn't anything really big revealed in those issues, though (at least, aside from the 60% comment, and something else I'll bring up in a little bit). Mostly, it was stuff like Film Z ads, lists of things like all the devil fruits that were revealed throughout the series, Oda's thoughts on Film Z, pictures of his office, etc.

Though there are a few interesting things to point out: First off, one of the issues had a segment where Oda is asked about his work schedule. He mentions that he doesn't get vacations (the only exception so far was when he went to Hawaii for a few weeks by the time the timeskip was confirmed, which you can even read about in an earlier page of this thread ).

Second question is about how many hours of sleep he gets, which was something else we discussed before, I believe. Anyway, he says that he wakes up every day at 5AM and goes to sleep at 2AM. That's only three hours of sleep a day, people. So the next time anyone kicks up a fuss about Oda going on another break, remember just how much time and energy the guy sacrifices to pump out these chapters while juggling between all those other projects like the movies and whatnot......

There was also some interviews with Oda's editors, and Aohige actually gave a summary of them over at AP:

Quote:
Reading the two editors interview couple of interesting notes

- Both editors testify they get scolded by Oda sometimes.
- Apparently when an editor is assigned to Oda, one of the first thing they experience is Oda telling them all the major secrets of One Piece, up to and incluing the end. (!!!)

....... QUICK SOMEONE KIDNAP ONE OF THESE EDITORS OR PAST EDITORS!

The editor said as a reader of OP, it's somewhat saddening to learn all the spoilers ahead of time. I can see that.

When asked what sucks about being editors, they both testified Oda's obsessive perfectionist attitude getting in the way of deadline lol.
Apparently just the other day, Oda missed the deadline and it was hell getting the chapter in time. Oda's attitude is "The chapter is done when it's done".
As for editoral inputs, Oda mostly uses the editors as "first readers to read his work". He observe the reaction of the editors as a measure of how the readers would react. They testify they don't contibute much to Oda's work, since neither of them have anywhere near the talent Oda has, and it's sometimes painful that they can only stand by and wait, unable to help, when deadline is pressing.

Hattori says the most memorable scene of OP (for the chapters he was editing) was Sabo's comment about ashamed of his birth as a noble, and Dragon's shocked reaction to have such a young child come to that conclusion. It really drove home how talented a story writer he is.

Wow.... so the editors are already spoiled on all the juicy stuff early on. That's interesting to know. But personally, I'd rather not interrogate those guys for future info. Yep, I'm satisfied with my weekly dose of early magazine leaks and brief spoiler summaries, thank you very much!

Actually, if anyone's interested in the editors Oda had over the years, here's a pic of them:

As well as their info (credit for all this goes to sandman at AP):

Quote:
Takanori Asada (1997-April 2001)
Takahiro Habuta (April 2001-February 2005)
Watanabe (February 2005-October 2006)
Naoki Kawashima (October 2006-November 2007)
Kouhei Onishi (November 2007-June 2008)
Akira Jean-Baptiste Hattori (June 2008-December 2010)
Takeru Isaka (December 2010-)

At present, Isaka takes charge of ONE PIECE manga and Hattori takes charge of ONE PIECE animation, game, goods etc.

But going back to that 60% thing: Yeah, I suppose 60% is just about right at this point, myself. I mean, we've already got Luffy challenging world powers left and right by now, so why not?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote