View Single Post
Old 2013-03-21, 06:50   Link #106
merakses

Quote:
I mean, I agree that he's interested in free will and stuff, but where do you get this idea that he does not enjoy killing?
Well, first of all, none of his murders was done without a particular purpose in mind. In the first part, he was testing his pawns by giving them the ability to kill. Beyond that, he only killed people as punishment or in order to further his own plan.

Second, take a look at his words and reactions every time after he kills/discards somebody:

"There's something that I've been searching for... that I want to know. For that purpose, I did whatever it took [...] You have knowledge of various avatars, and imitate them perfectly. You can become anyone, so I was very interested in what your personality was like. That's why I lent you my people and my assistance. [...] You can play any character, and yet, in the end, it turned out that you yourself are nobody. Your core personality is null. It's empty [...] Since you lacked a face, you were simply able to wear any kind of mask."
"Just in case, I'd like to ask you a question before this is all over. Rikako Oryo, do you yourself realise how you came to disappoint me? [...] Well, if you don't realise it, I guess you can't even reflect on it. As I suspected, it seems that I can't expect any more growth from you."
"[...] But from now on, it won't be just a game. [...] You're exactly right. I'll see your life's splendor until the very end."
"How regrettable. How very regrettable, Inspector Akane Tsunemori. You disappointed me. So I have to punish you. Regret your helplessness, and feel despair."
"This was a tool to promote awareness... for people to live like human beings. People have been mislead by Sybil and have become unable to properly evaluate the danger in front of them. In that sense, you guys are as foolish as those pitiful sheep.
Alas... It really is... a terrible shame."
"I had thought this would end in a less disappointing manner... but even so, for the first time in a long while, I was able to forget my boredom. I appreciate it."

Each and every time, the emotion he expresses after the kill isn't pleasure; it's disappointment (the only exception being Senguji, where he actually admired the cyborg's choice to stay and fight even with the stakes upped) The only murders I didn't cover here were the agriculture professor (because we didn't really see Makishima's reaction directly after the murder), and Touma (because although Maki was pretty happy while killing him, there is a much more plausible explanation than Maki liking murder in general)

Third, if Makishima was a person who enjoyed murder for it's own sake, he wouldn't have been qualified as a criminally asymptomatic - Senguji only killed for sport/recreation, and he was flagged, so simply enjoying murder doesn't constitute a mindset too alien for Sybil to judge.