View Single Post
Old 2006-01-31, 02:38   Link #437
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
I want to know: what exactly is bad about the comedic parts? Too much exaggeration?
I would have thought I made it clear from my other posts on the topic, but I'll reiterate:

1. It relies too much on stereotyping supporting characters, making them uninteresting and, at worst, VERY annoying. Whenever Asuta shows up in the manga, I flip to the next page because I don't want to see yet another "LOLOLOLOLOL My best friend has boobs and I totally wanna mack on her now, so let me go into a horribly generic shounen fantasy sequence!111!"

2. The jokes aren't funny the first time, yet the author keeps on repeating them over and over. As I said in the first point, I actually begin to skip pages when certain characters show up because they're so incredibly irritating and I know they will have absolutely NO impact on the plot.

3. It is not particularly original, and other series have done it much better and funnier, so why even bother? Why not stick to what makes the show interesting instead of feeling like it has to be a comedy?

4. It doesn't really even fit with the core of the series. Does this series want to be a gentle love triangle between three girls and an amusing exploration of gender issues, or a ka-razy gender-bender comedy filled with ka-razy characters and ka-razy situations? I'll take the former, please.

Quote:
And, just because the show is somewhat dealing with some drama between Hazumu and the girls does not mean that it is restricted to doing that alone.
Well, of course not. But it would certain help to make the side character fleshened out if they got their own parts in the drama. Having a bunch of one-note characters does nothing for the series and only makes it tiresome after they've all done their little shtick once or twice per episode.

Quote:
Saying that they should not even have any comedic parts in the anime(or so I can perceive from your post) just because they do not appeal to you, is somewhat crossing the line between opinion and mindless demand(sterotyping of shows).
Are you sure you've been reading my posts? Where exactly did I say I had a problem with humor? In fact, I distinctly gave examples of parts I found amusing in the series, and said I wish the series would stick to that sort of humor. This series benefits from a sort of low key, observational humor, not zany slapstick or whacky characters.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote