View Single Post
Old 2013-04-18, 05:47   Link #13
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Positivity? In MY Little Busters board?!?!

How refreshing...

Like many others before me, giving this an 8/10. JC really delivered on the common route aspect of the show - the group scenes were the most impacting, some even done better than the original work! My biggest gripe with the common route scenes was the battles. Arrgh, they did them all wrong. You see Masato lose in a battle once, and you know what'll happen for every other battle. Where's my Kyousuke vs Riki, or Komari vs Kengo? So much potential wasted right there.

One thing to note is this anime operated on a strict schedule. I'd probably rather they did the common route first and then moved onto the heroine arcs so we could go grow more attached to their characters before the drama set in, but this is how it went. The heroine arcs were alright. The could've definitely been done better if they had more time allocated them, but the anime is running on a strict schedule, so they could only afford 3 episodes per heroine. Given this limitation, I think they did pretty good overall. There are some moments where the lack of romance works, and others where things start making less sense. Why did Riki care about Mio so much? Sometimes the banner of 'friendship' doesn't feel as satisfying as actual love.

But, I believe that for all the areas they were forced to cut corners on during season 1, they did so to focus on building to season 2. I have high hopes for Refrain. They should have a lot more time to do what they need to do, and give the story the proper attention it deserves. It should also start getting a lot more linear from here on out - something many anime viewers had complained about during this season. Remember, this was just the prologue. The heart of the story is yet to come.

8/10.