Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-28, 09:46   Link #991
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
There's really nothing about the fortune-telling plot that doesn't annoy me. It undercuts the realism of the series. It's beneath the dignity of what's otherwise a very smart show. It plays into cultural stereotypes. And it plays into the tendency Uchuu Kyoudai has to milk certain plot points or cliffhangers to death rather than resolving them and getting on with things.

Good episode, and it's great to have Space Brothers back. But ditch the fortuneteller BS already.
This is my problem as well. I will note that the show has usually given all its characters some meaningful background (sometimes you just have to wait longer stretches) and even people such as Vincent Bold, who has been portrayed primarily as a plot roadblock so far, have glimmers of an interesting background lurking somewhere.

Amanti's fortune-teller schtick, or at least the dominance of that trait from our/Mutta's POV, has been virtually her entire characterization thus far. If the show mentioned what her science major is or old job was, I can't even remember it now, because every scene with her has been "I wonder if this is the bad thing that she foresaw."

Cultural sterotypes: Apologies to everyone first, but...
The show has managed to create a Magical Indian out of an actual Indian. ducks brickbats She was the only person at the restaurant meet-and-greet that wasn't entirely in generic Western clothing, which could be allowed as a character's actual preference, but in the setting just emphasized her unusualness... which also didn't help because her introduction was entirely based around her seeing/fortunetelling (and again, not her actual job).

The show at least bothered to show us Kitamura's family before putting her into the action with the main characters...
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote