View Single Post
Old 2013-04-29, 14:16   Link #32182
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Well, it depends a lot on whether she actually did fool Jessica and the family, doesn't it?

Besides, it would still strike me as extremely risky on Yasu's part. Kanon was already reluctant to go, but agreeing to do it just seems like a huge risk for no identifiable benefit. The last thing she needs is somebody who is a little too perceptive noticing her, and she has to assume the people who will be present at the school are going to be people who have seen her in the past.

It's a weird risk and is easier to explain if Kanon's actual existence is very judiciously utilized. But since we seem to have effective confirmation that someone appeared at the school festival with Jessica, it's hard to just handwave the scene away. If Kanon was living a regular, regulated existence, this just seems like a needless risk. If Kanon barely exists at all, it's easier to get away with... but then it becomes nearly impossible to believe Jessica wouldn't know.
Well, it surely fooled Battler and Erika. We can assume Erika never really looked at Kanon and Shannon but Battler apparently had the chance to talk with both and give them both a good look.

Honestly I find hard to think that Jessica would be fooled but here in the past they did rather funny joke programs in which a well known person would disguise as someone else and people would fall for it if the setting seemed reasonable enough. In short, if they had no reason to doubt that person's identity they would maybe notice some resemblance with someone else but not pay too much attention to it.

So maybe that's what what happened to Jessica. I think it'll be harder to fool Natsuhi due to her controlling schedules and servant work (and weren't they worried anymore about the whole issue of the person of X years ago?).
Even assuming Genji and Kumasawa would help her it would require them to do extra work and not be discovered by Natsuhi or another servant who might report it to Natsuhi.

On a sidenote I'll be interested to know how Yasu's life at school was. From the way things are presented it doesn't really seem like she made friends so... was she just being avoided by others or was she being bulllied when Jessica wasn't looking?
was this another common point she had with Maria?

Quote:
Were I to be cynical, I'd say Ryukishi just assumed that Yasu had no friends and saw no reason to outright state as such, given that he doesn't seem to adequately understand the implications of Jessica and Shannon being friends for most of their lives but barely acting like it at any point ever in the actual story. I'd question how well he understands any relationships at all.
Ironically I said for all of his talking about understanding the heart Ryukishi paid to the fulness of Yasu's heart little regard.

We know about the HUGE drama in her life but next to nothing about her ordinary life. Incidentally it's the good in your ordinary life that helps you to deal with the dramas in your life.
It pushes people to think there was nothing good in her life but... wasn't Shannon respected more by the other young servants because she was the most experienced now? Okay for Gohda who's older and might not be respectful but what about the others? When Jessica called her and that other servant girl in her room they seemed to get along... was this not true?
Was what remained of Yasu's life out of her dramas completely unimportant?

Quote:
We noticed the same thing. I think they try very hard to read meaning into everything, but this one is especially bizarre because the only evidence we have ever for Kyrie not loving Ange is the things she says to Eva about her, and it's blatantly obvious what she's doing in that scene.
Yes, it's pretty hard to take that scene at face value. We've learnt how hard she pursued Rudolf, how she couldn't let him go and now that the guy's dead she was all: that's good I finally got back my freedom again?

Quote:
I don't see why she wouldn't, though. What was wrong with her at that age? Certainly it's an unusual situation but there's nothing to suggest she acts weird (like Maria) or is unusually sullen and disliked (like Ange) or a dorky creeper (like George). And apparently as Lion she's incredibly popular! It's a weird disconnect. It's making her unpopular and ignored largely because that's what you expect out of her character. At least the other servants have reasons to behave like huge bitches (it's competitive, Yasu's getting special treatment, etc.).
Well, I agree it's not developed well, even if you don't really need to have a specific reason in order not to be liked. In the orphanage she didn't have any friends and she still relies on imaginary friends so maybe she wasn't good at interacting with others. Maybe she wasn't that bad, not to the point they'll bully her but maybe... she was just someone who tagged along when she was free but didn't get any special attention. There's plenty of people that just... aren't shiny enough to be noticed so it's not that others avoid them on purpose it's just... they forgot about them because yes, you can stay with them but they aren't that interesting so you'll aim to be with someone else.

Quote:
Shannon is basically the only girl even close to her age that Jessica supposedly has known for a long period of time, and the one she would presumably spend the most time around. Ignore whether Yasu isn't social. Jessica is social, goes to school with Shannon/Yasu, and desperately wants to do stuff away from the island... but never suggests that the two of them hang out, or go to lunch, or even maybe try to con Natsuhi into letting them go anywhere (on the basis that hey, Shannon will be with me)? If this sort of thing ever happened, we never hear about it. I'd think Jessica would've at least tried this once, and I can't see any reason why Shannon would refuse.
Yes, Jessica's friendship for Shannon seems pretty meaningless. It's true sometimes she's dealing with the death of her relative also but you would think Shannon's death would have more of an impact on her.

It makes their friendship hollow and this is underlined by how Kanon always have no chances to win over Shannon. Actually it should be easier for him to have a deeper relation with Jessica as he knows her by longer time and spent with her more time than Shannon with George, who's not even the most caring boyfriend one can wish to have. Yet, Jessica will always lose to George.

But even Battler is... pretty cold toward Shannon's death even if in Ep 3 & 5 he'll point out she was his first love.

But well, the most weird part of all is when Battler seemed completely unprepared to a family loss when actually he just had 3 (his mother and his grandparents). He should have worked up a rationalization and yet that's not the case.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote