View Single Post
Old 2006-10-04, 00:23   Link #21
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Utawarerumono Final Thoughts

Utawarerumono attracted me because of its title not knowing what to expect to find for the characters and the plot. I must confess that it apalled me positively with how the camera handled the long and close shots in a cinematography-esque manner.

The animation employed for the forest and villa settings brought memories of Miyazaki's films, particularly with the musical arrangement that evoked the sense of spirit and purity within nature.

But, I digress with the sci-fi element twists used to properly explain Hakuoro's God-like origins. At the beginning, I naively thought the story took place in an alternate Earth full of exotic and mystic creatures, but nonetheless plagued in eternal warfare for control over the territories and political disputes.

I can think of that the first half, ending with the Shikerepechim arc, was better accomplished in terms of pacing, logic in the plot, and of personal interest. The second half did not possess the strangeness and fantasy that was ethereally dominating the atmosphere and mood in the previous half.
I just have a distaste for epic, fantasy stories and feudal settings that suddenly throw into their mix sci-fi elements to get a grip of surprise as response from the viewers.

Utawarerumono was better off without them. What I can positively commend was the growth of Eruru discovering her feelings for Hakuoro, as she encouraged herself to remain by his side in the darkest hours and during the most beautiful of days.

Utawarerumono is among the batch of spring anime titles that I have finished off recently to pave way for the next season shows with time.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote