View Single Post
Old 2007-03-28, 22:39   Link #184
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Let's see, this thread already has over 14,000 posts and the show hasn't even aired yet. That's almost as many posts as Jigoku Shoujo 2 or Hidamari Sketch, which have been on for almost six and almost three months respectively.

If the characters end up acting and sounding as cute as they look, I think KyoAni may have done it again. The bucketloads of anime-manga-game references are like an intensification of the anime self-referentiality they used in SHnY. For one thing, putting those Wii controllers into some of the publicity images was a stroke of marketing genius, I'd say.

As for this being just marking time in preparation for Clannad, I believe that's what was being said about Suzumiya Haruhi in relation to Kanon, a year ago.

But that "looking and acting as cute" will not be a simple matter. As a fan of Hirano Aya, I like her best in roles that have some kind of secret sorrow infusing their words, like Haruhi and Layla, and even Sanae and Mei. As far as I know that doesn't apply to Konata, but perhaps I'm wrong. I'm eager to see how she and the director decide to play the role. And I'm eager to hear how well the bevy of young seiyuus do.
What do you mean "May have done it again"? It doesn't strike me as phenomenally difficult to make characters look and sound cute, just look around you and you'll see its actually easy. If we are talking in comparsion to something in particular then maybe not, but does it really matter. Aren't we losing sight of what really does matter, i.e the laughs we intend to get out of this show and possible identifiication with one or more of the characters. The cuteness is meant to be the icing on the cake, not the base, unless I told missed the point of the manga. Basically if all Kyoto Animation's goal turned out to be is to make cute looking and sounding characters they have no business claiming to be a serious and prestigious studio. I don't think that is the case at all though. Though that might even not be what you mean, cause I seriously have no idea.

One thing I do know though is if you're worried about there not being some sort of secret sorrow with Konota, I wouldn't fret, because:

Spoiler:

Whether she can actually pull this off I'm not sure because I haven't found her particulary good at anything other than hyper-genki characters, which she does almost as good as Kotono Mitsuishi

So yeah its like a Japanese version of Peanuts in a way.

Oh and this is now 185 posts. Perhaps you've spending a bit too much time on 2chan(el) where posts routinely reach into the 10000's.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote