Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-26, 21:15   Link #1244
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

And this is why I shouldn't be posting, because I don't have time polish up what I want to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I argue there isn't such a thing as "entire truth". Even for Chihaya, karuta is not only a goal in and of itself, but also a way to reconnect with that friendship that she experienced during her childhood. Even Arata is playing with that in mind, and also in part to honor his grandfather. Both Chihaya and Arata love karuta a lot, but by no means karuta is an "entire truth" in their lives. It is a goal as much as it is a means to fulfill other things.
I meant more an "entire truth" for himself. Chihaya and Arata make karuta about themselves, about what they can do in order to achieve their goals within in, whether those goals are wanting to become Queen/Meijin, or to share the love of karuta (esp. in Chihaya's case).

There is a sense that Taichi is trying to do something similar, make karuta about himself. But I think it is detrimental that his way of doing that so far seems - to me personally - to be laid out in terms of what other people can do. I feel that Taichi would be happier when he is finally comfortable in his own niche in karuta.

To try and make it a bit clearer, I believe that people should measure themselves against themselves, rather than against others. Alternatively, it's about not using others as a measuring stick, but rather as avenues to find out how to improve oneself - in the end, it's about what one can do, not about envying others for what they can do. To me personally, that's how Taichi is still coming across at this point in the story. Other viewers may see it differently, but I'm fine with that.

As for your second point - the issue I actually had was with the interpretation I've seen around that 'Taichi is not approaching Chihaya because Arata is not here'.

I quite agree that Taichi recognising and voicing this particular flaw of 'running away' is a good thing, and is the first step towards addressing it.

Last edited by karice67; 2014-01-13 at 19:09.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote