View Single Post
Old 2007-05-17, 04:56   Link #46
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
MADHOUSE is being top-notch in keeping up with my expectations. The only reason I m giving an 8 for this episode is because i know there will be episodes which will deserve 10 more than this. Its a stupid analogy but i guess if u have read the manga..u cant help but feel like me.
Amusing. That makes two people who refused to give this episode a 10 simply because they have already read the manga and feel that if this was a 10, then they'd have to make 10 higher to rate future episodes.

Now if only these people could find words instead of numbers to express this feeling I'd be much happier. I'm not thrilled watching numerical ratings dumb down conversation in this way. In order to raise the conversational level I'll add that I know what toxic_trance means. So far this show has been exciting and emotionally touching, but it hasn't yet reached the level of the show it is constantly being compared to -- Berserk. If we are going to reach that level of greatness, then we're going to have to change the expectations that make people consider this episode a pinacle. Berserk had many episodes which were as good as this one or better. So obviously, this was not the best possible episode.

Let's not set our sights for greatness as low as this episode provides. Let us wish for even more. Let this be just the first taste of how good Claymore can really be as it continues to improve until the finale.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.