Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-09, 22:27   Link #441
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Perhaps. But the main championships do segregate male and female players. Here's a bit from the Wiki page on competitive karuta:
I can't find anything else about this subject as it applies to karuta through a Google search. Indeed one of the four pages my search returned was this very one!
This is what it says

"Each winner of the men and women division are given the title as the Grand Champion - Meijin for males, and Queen for females. The national championship for high school students is held every July."

We see how it works from Chihayafuru. Yes the Meijin and Queen championships have a separate male & female winner but it's not like men and women don't play together. At the upcoming high school championship for instance they compete together.

I don't know I think I would be more bothered if men & women never get to play together but that is obviously not true. I also don't see where they say one gender is better at Karuta & that is the reason for the separate championships.

edit from this website http://karuta.game.coocan.jp/karuta-e.html

"Today, more than 60 tournaments of Kyogi Karuta are held in Japan every year. There are 5 ranks of players, from the lowest E-class to the top-level A-class.

The players age range from 4 years old to over 80.
Usually men and women play in the same tournament. Only one competition called "Joryu-sen (Women's tournament) is strictly for women.

Also the Meijin (Master) and Queen title match is played by men and women separately. The Meijin and Queen title matches are held on the first or second Saturday of the year at Oumi Jingu Shrine in Shiga prefecture. "