View Single Post
Old 2007-10-22, 13:25   Link #18
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
*shrug*
I haven't followed the XI competitive scene recently.

There are plenty of *generally* balanced fighters though.
SF3: 3rd Strike is one of them. You could argue for tiers, and tiers definitely exist, but every once in a while, someone comes along and COMPLETELY dominates the competition with some previously "unknown" character, like that guy at Super Battle Opera 3v3 with Makoto (he looked ubergeeky, and his two teammates were pretty gals who sucked ass at SF3... lolcarry).
It really depends on how bad the tiers are. A game like Marvel vs Capcom 2 has definitive tiers. Like, you can't play at the competitive level if you don't have Magneto/Cable/etc. on your team. But you know, it took them years to figure out Cable was a good fighter =P
Tekken 5 is another heavily tiered game, though I'm not sure about Dark Resurrection. Nina/Steve/Bryan anyone? It was almost disgusting.

Then we have Soul Calibur 3... completely and utterly ruined by NAMCO releasing the game on consoles before arcades, then crapping all over console users by releasing a revised, rebalanced, debugged arcade version with new attacks to boot. The game was dead by then, anyways, competitively.

But yeah, complete balance is a no. I think the Virtual Fighter series comes pretty close to it though. VF4: Final Tuned was excellent. VF5 is very, very good as well, though I'm disappointed no one uses Vanessa.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote