Thread: Licensed Elfen Lied
View Single Post
Old 2004-12-14, 00:00   Link #1060
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

To reply to Icehawk, I understand your reasoning why Lucy should be "brought to justice", so to say. The point I'm trying to make is, I don't think it would be very accurate to affix real life standards onto fictional characters, especially when they have superpowers. Imagine if in the real world everyone had vectors - there'd be heads popping and limbs flying all over everywhere. We've all wished at some point in our lives that someone would simply die or go away."Man I wish that dumbass kid would shut up" while on the bus, or "that dumbnut teacher failed me" while getting a test back. Except in Lucy's case, the people around her actually do get killed. And that's what made Lucy "humane", in a sense, because we can relate to her feelings of deep hatred for certain peoples (which, in Lucy's case, almost everyone because they treat her like a monster, so she kill them, which reinforces their belief of her as a monster, vicious cycle). Plus, if we want to start looking at anime characters with a realistic view, tons more anime characters should "face justice" before Lucy (ie. No.35/Mariko for her indifference to life, Bando for his reckless for other's life other than his own, every bad guy in Dragon Ball Z especially those who blew up whole cities or in some instances, entire planets, hell, even some of the good guys too should die too)

The point for Lucy's character is to bring a moral dilemma to the viewers "here's a cold blooded killer, here's what she is like now, but wait here's the reason why she's like this, and here's the reason why she's killed, and here's what she would've been like if she didn't become like this", basically, they took a generic "bad guy", make the viewer become familiar and attached to the character, to become sympathetic to her cause (humanity treat me like trash because of my difference/power, so I treat them the same with my power). Also, animes assume the viewers are pre-disposed towards the main characters, that is, as they feel attached to the characters, the viewers begin to hope for a good end for them, basically, it's the innate "goodness" of humanity toward others. That's why some people said "Oh that shadow in the end there is Lucy/Nyuu". In effect, people will start to believe that Lucy really isn't a "bad guy", but a good person at heart who has had a tragic life.

Actually, my "ridiculous logic" is "girls get off easier than guys", imagine if Lucy was a Luke or something (boobs *disappear*, curvacious body *disappear*, big teary eyes *disppear*) how much sympathy now? Damn.

Getting on a boring talk here, anyways, I simply replied before because I thought I saw a "killing is bad, bad people should die" simpleton. I didn't, but I still love my killer chick Lucy.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote