View Single Post
Old 2014-02-11, 03:09   Link #545
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Okay, so here's something interesting. I'm not sure whether this is the right thread for this and all, but I figured it was close enough.

So, I've found myself in an online political game set in the 2020s, and I'm playing the role of China. Specifically, I'm playing a restored Republic of China, led by a Kuomintang returned from exile in Taiwan (yeah, realism isn't exactly emphasised here). Taiwan itself on the other hand has been taken over by a militant Pan-Green faction, and has joined with Japan, Philippines and California to form a polity of its own; we'll call it 'Pacific'. Pacific has also for 'certain reasons' taken over the Fujian province.

Game has just started, and Pacific has agreed to cede Fujian back to my ROC. In return, I'm planning not to make an issue of Taiwan. However, now we've moved on to the issue of Scarborough Shoal/Spratly Islands/Senkaku Islands.

I must confess I've never followed those disputes all that closely, so I'm a little unsure of the respective arguments used by RL China to support its sovereignty over those territories. If someone can point me to a short and sweet summary, and/or suggest negotiation strategies, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote