View Single Post
Old 2010-02-10, 06:21   Link #39
upiro

Quote:
Been reading LW&C's first volume, and I really want to like it, but the episodic nature and dryness of the storytelling frankly baffles me.
Strangely enough, I read LW&C in reverse chronological order (thereby breaking every law of reading fiction) and found that it worked a lot better that way. I found the first few volumes and most of the side stories fairly boring and it was only after I jumped to the last few volumes that I started appreciating the series more. As Vile mentioned, the continous storyline starts pretty late into the manga.

Thanks for reccing Saraiya Goyou! The art's interesting and I think the plot holds promise. But so far, the story's a tad on the bland side ... (I just wish the Ikki website had more Children of the Sea chapters!)

Quote:
Will read Katsu next!
If you can get past the 1st 12 chaps where the characters are basically mucking around (though there's important foreshadowing taking place too), the story becomes a lot more focused.

Oh, and thanks for the Borgia books! Will start with Hibbert's book (I am a Borgia newbie after all). And I really need to start dwelving into Maguire's alternate, twisted fairy tales ...

I just watched the anime, Spice and Wolf, recently and it was very, very impressive. Loved it and just can't stop raving about it!! Wish more such anime existed. Noticed that a manga version exists. May be worth checking out ...

Last edited by upiro; 2010-02-10 at 13:11.