View Single Post
Old 2010-04-28, 03:02   Link #9388
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
I am trying to say that:
  • Nevertheless, a large portion of the audience will end up being correct purely through randomness if any single culprit is assumed. That is not in Ryukishi's interest.
I disagree with this. After all, who cares if someone manages to guess the right culprit? If you don't know why or how they did it, you haven't really solved anything. For spoilers' sake, I won't mention specific names, but there are multiple Agatha Christie books where the true culprit is the most suspicious person from the beginning. In these books, the culprit is so suspicious that the reader discounts them, and soon on, the reader even gets "proof" that the culprit couldn't have done things the way everyone thought. It's only later that we learn that the culprit had an entirely different way to carry out the crime.

Some of these are some of her hardest mysteries to solve, even though the 'answer' is the most obvious.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote