View Single Post
Old 2012-02-20, 11:16   Link #1224
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Uh... I think heads are starting to roll for the flop (money loss wise) that was this game... Drew Karpyshyn is leaving Bioware http://gamerant.com/mass-effect-koto...-brian-134075/ (no offense fans, just stating the exuberant cost of the game vs how little money it made (estimated 350 mil to 550 mil cost to develop this game, vs the high unsubscribe rate and not as big of a launch as expected by many, etc...))

Yeah, the article says something else "leaving to work on his books" but lets face it due to the timing and his lack of work on Mass Effect 3 (I mean wow, not being allowed to write another Mass Effect book (the latest one was written by William C. Dietz named Deception is god awful, I wasted my money buying it and ended up wishing Drew Karpyshyn had written it even after how much I hated the book Revan)). I can only conclude that there is more to this story than we are being told, since it sounds like any "retirement" announcement we get from a politician after they've had a scandal.

I honestly, was not a fan of most of the plot of TOR and was greatly disappointed with it but I honestly don't know how much Drew Karpyshyn was responsible for it's direction only that he was involved with much of it. So I'm not sure his leaving the company is justified but then again if he was responsible for a lot of it I can see why they may have fired him (or at least forced him out) after his plot cost the company that much money (or at least contributed to it).

I think his book Revan likely made him an easy target since so many fans of Kotor 1 and 2 took their frustration of all there fav characters being killed off, never mentioned, and/or "changed" out on the book... if you rad the comments on the books Amazon page it is just filled with countless bad ratings: 5 star: (37); 4 star: (27); 3 star: (26); 2 star: (38); 1 star: (35)... worse only the bad writings have huge number of this write up was helpful marks. Also quite a few of the 1 and 2 star reviews are essays, when the 5 star comments are quite clearly in many cases paid for comments or friends/family of the author... that are just a sentence or two that just say Drew is awesome or something to that effect. Oh, for those of you that didn't know amazon gives rewards (free stuff) to there top 1,000 commenters (they've surveyed these people and they say it's become an addiction to comment to earn more free stuff) and worse many companies selling stuff on amazon pay people to write good reviews for there products in the forms of x money per star rating.

For a listed history of his works on games and books... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Karpyshyn

I was a huge fan of his since KotOR and Mass Effect... and all his books (minus Revan) rocked, especially for video game books. However everything he did with TOR flet like watching the Star Wars prequels after watching several things he did as epic as Empire Strikes Back. Drew was my second favorite Star Wars author (after Timothy Zann) due to the Darth Bane novels until the book Revan, now I honestly don't know what to think of him as a Star Wars author.

I even meet him once at a book store (it wasn't a signing of his but he was randomly stopping by to sign his new book Darth Bane: Path of Destruction). I got to talking to him for quite a bit about KotOR 1, I even told him I had saved at every conversation option so I could replay any convo LS or DS whenever I wanted with any character, but ended up with so many saves I crashed my original xbox permanently. His eyes literally bugged out of his head and I had to explain I had just as many saves in Morrowind (which was getting tons of lag issues due to me doing crazy stuff in that game too, but was playing KotOR when the xbox died but it had never had any issues previously), so I never was sure which game caused the crash... but the end result was when Mass Effect came out the next year the game limited you to 10 saves per character. I've always feared I was responsible for that 10 save limit... ... sorry everyone that wasn't my intent, I even told him I was proud of it and it gave me an excuse to play the game all over again (which I did ). Now expecting tons of negs for the 10 save limit...

Anyways, from what I could tell from the 10 minutes I spoke to him (he had a flight to catch so we couldn't talk long) he was a very nice guy (funny too) and was a good developer/writer/employee of Bioware since he kept trying to redirect the convo to things he could use to help further games carry on what was good with his previous game and what could be done better next time. He then gave me a personalized autographed copy of the book telling me to join the dark side (which I still have)

Well, anyways (regardless of my speculation of the reason behind the retirement from the gaming industry and opinions of TOR) best of luck Drew in your new endeavors. I was a big fan of much (actually Most, not much) of your work, so I will give whatever you come out with next a read (and buy it).

Last edited by Ryus; 2012-02-20 at 11:46.
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote