View Single Post
Old 2011-02-21, 17:04   Link #256
John D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Why would Sengoku and Garp hold back? There was no reason why they should. BB was a real threat with his darkness and quake abilities.
While I don't think Sengoku and Garp intentionally went easy on Teach, I think the circumstances prevented them from fighting at full potential. Specifically, their foremost priority was to protect Marinford from Blackbeard's wild quakes (at least, that was Sengoku's first concern), and thus, I'd infer that they fought a defensive battle to attempt to ward of Blackbeard's quakes.

At least, that is how I interpreted the scene.

That being said, I don't agree that Akainu would've taken the down the Blackbeard Pirates if the latter hadn't turned tails. I think the combined might of the Blackbeard Pirates would've been victorious, but I also think that they would've incurred heavy casualties (which might have included Teach himself) and that was not a price Teach was willing to pay for a battleship (and there was always the risk of Akainu, after realizing he was going to loose, burning the ship in obstinate rage...).

I also think that Blackbeard wanted time to prepare both himself and his newly acquired crew (i.e. time to grow stronger) before taking on adversaries such as Akainu. Specifically, he didn't flee because he was scared of Akainu, he fled because the time wasn't right.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote