View Single Post
Old 2010-11-11, 14:44   Link #227
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Waters View Post
Utsuwa no ookii means a hell of a lot more than "tolerant"; in fact, most of the time it refers to someone's potential for greatness. I took it to mean Araragi viewed what she was doing as something no one ordinary would ever have managed. I'm less confident on that interpretation than I am on the subject issue, though.
I see, indeed most of the times it's "a person of high caliber". Only EDICT seems to use "tolerant". Probably it has that meaning only when used for sweet talk, in the sense of "closing one eye".

Well, I give up. I can't come up with anything without having read the whole thing, and even then I may be wrong. I apologize for having created more confusion than enlightenment.

EDIT: I think in the end the 器のでかさ was some kind of sarcasm related to the fact that in that occasion (今みたいに) Hitagi was half-naked. The key is the adjective 堂々. Looking among the possibile meanings, there was this on kotobank:
2 なんの隠しだてもないさま。こそこそしないさま。「正面切って―と戦う」「白昼―」
No secrecy, no stealthiness (a form of confidence after all). In other words Hitagi half-naked. 器のでかさ referred not to Hitagi in her entirety, but only to her quality of being 堂々, the extent of which she was unaware. Well, this is probably what you meant in the first place.

Last edited by Shikijin; 2010-11-11 at 16:48.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote