View Single Post
Old 2011-08-03, 23:35   Link #68
hoarfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Pretty much agreed with this assessment, I wasn't a Nako fan before this episode nor am I one after this episode.

All male characters being losers archtype is really frustrating at the moment, can we get a decent male character in this show? I wonder if Okada got dumped by her boyfriend recently because that would explain a lot.
Regarding this topic, it's pretty standard anime fare. It is especially bad for males who are romantically aggressive, as they are made out to be essentially total clowns; see: the proliferation of the perverted friend archetype and "nanpa" scenes in almost every show where there are both males and females, and in the latest episode of Hanasaku Iroha as well. Does anybody remember Nobuse in Okada's True Tears? Roughly the same thing, albeit slightly more sympathetic and less schadenfreude. But the message is the same: if you are anything but passive you are either a step away from rapist or only suitable for being pitied and laughed at.

Of all the guys who could have approached Nako and her friends because they thought she was attractive, of course they had to be portrayed as total fools. Jiromaru and Enishi, Renji and Beanman have their romantic interests, real and imagined played for jokes. The only ones immune are Kou and Tohru because they are both very passive regarding romance at heart.