View Single Post
Old 2009-03-29, 11:52   Link #25
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well, it looks like others like this more than I did. Oh well.

Animation Quality: 8

Well I guess there's nothing I need to say about this. The animation is really nice with nice art too. The fight scenes were great, Index in freaky mode scared the shit out of me (which is a good thing), and Mikoto's electricity is win. Overall, animation quality was pretty solid.

Voice Actors: 6

Voice acting was pretty much okay. Touma was boring, Mikoto was average, but Index was an interesting character with (in my opinion) excellent voice acting. Other than that, the voice acting was very bland for the rest of the characters. I swear I sometimes don't feel the emotions when two characters have their "battle of words." All I can say is, "It could have been worse."

Script: 2

People complain about how long Fuuko's arc is in Clannad, but this series is an excellent example of what Clannad could have been. In short, people appear out of nowhere, went missing for 10+ episodes, there were no transitions between arcs, there were no initial introduction of the antagonists, and everything just feels disjointed and confusing. There were no Fuuko's arc to make the story flow. Other than that, To Aru Majutsu no Index became "To Aru Majutsu, no Index." I don't want to beat a dead horse but please, one would expect Index to not be in the sidelines after one arc. However, "It could be worse."

Soundtrack: N/A

The soundtrack didn't impress me and I don't feel like giving something I can't remember a bad rating. However, "It could be worse."

Editing: 2

If they did edit, then they would realize how confusing the stories are. One example is Motoharu Tsuchimikado. He appears for maybe a few minutes in the beginning and goes away. About halfway through the series, he reappears and the series expect us to remember who he is. Too bad there wasn't a Fuuko's arc to leave a good impression on him before he makes that disappearance act. However, "It could be worse."

Enjoyment: 2

Really, there was no enjoyment. I watched it half out of obligation and half because I want my Index to re-appear. I thought Naruto and Bleach were bad at talking, but at least they talk while fighting. This series has a habit of just talking. I mean, seriously. There are scenes where there's so much talking I just want it to stop. Gah!

Emotional Involvement: 3

My favorite arc is the Last Order arc. To make a character I really hate (Accelerator) into someone I like is a sign of a good anime. Unfortunately, for To Aru Majutsu no Index, it's a sign of what the series could have been. I don't know what went wrong, but it went wrong. Also, I'm a huge Mikoto fan, so episode 18 was a definite plus. However, aside from those three episodes (18, 19, 20), the series offered no emotional involvement. I was so tired of the talking that I didn't "feel' anything in the last episode. At least Mikoto's shower scene (and the announcement of the "sequel") was worth the wait.

Average: 3.83 -> 4/10

Anyways, it wasn't unwatchable, I didn't really regret watching it, but it could have been better.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote