View Single Post
Old 2011-11-26, 14:33   Link #98
Kirarakim

I was trying to not reply but I have no will power

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That being said, if you think of late-night anime as largely replacing the role of OVAs in the 80s/90s, then I think it sort of makes more sense why it is that way. These are shows that would never have been green-lit if they had to air in prime-time or morning time blocks (and so had to appeal to a much wider audience). In a sense, I guess you might even say these are shows that sometimes deliberately flaunt their hyper-focus on their target audience to the exclusion of others (and those within that target group may feel rewarded by that, since it provides something they can't find elsewhere).

With that being your criteria, I can't help but think you'd almost be better off to just ignore almost all late-night anime and treat it like the OVA market of old (obscure and only followed by hardcore fans).
I get what you are saying here & I think that is a fair comparison but then the question is where are all the mainstream titles?

Now personally as I said in another thread I can still enjoy certain late night anime despite elements I dislike if there is something I do like (and I will stand by that just because something has elements to target a niche audience does not make it automatically bad) but I do think it is sad that there seems to be less mainstream titles. And when there is with some exceptions they sell poorly.

Of course I don't think the anime industry is entirely to blame because realistically that niche audience supports the industry not the mainstream audience, so what do you expect.

However I do at least expect more shows with thought like Madoka and less shows with a check list of elements that might appeal to Otaku just to cash in.

And heck how about more shows like Tiger & Bunny with adult protagonists pretty please!