View Single Post
Old 2010-02-28, 03:45   Link #1544
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

I was referred to Toradora! by another AS member, Kaisos. I checked out what is available so far of the manga first, and liked what I saw. However, when I heard that Ryuuji and Taiga became a couple in the completed stories of the novels and the anime, I was skeptical. Not because I didn't feel like Ryuuji and Taiga could be a viable couple, but rather I was just more interested in seeing them stay friends, pursuing their original 'targets'. The way such a strong friendship would work out under those circumstances interested me.

That being said, I ended up being very convinced that it was for the better that Ryuuji and Taiga do end up together. When you see the whole story unfold, a very powerful, loving bond emerging naturally becomes apparent, culminating in Episode 25 with what I thought was the single most touching romantic scene I have ever encountered. And I mean this not just for anime, but anywhere. I am not an easy man to stir up by any means; that scene--with all the preceding storyline to lead up to it--made me cry for a couple of minutes, it was so beautiful to me.

Moreover, the whole cast was enjoyable. I was very glad that enough attention was paid to the whole primary cast that I never felt saturated by one or the other. While the relationship between Ryuuji and Taiga was the central storyline, it was not carried out in a vacuum. Everyone was in motion, and everyone was having to deal with not just a few specific feelings from one or two other people, but with a constantly changing landscape of many individuals, many varied feelings. I could probably write a very substantial essay on what I loved about Toradora! and may well do so at some point, but suffice it to say I very thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the most convincing love stories I've encountered.