View Single Post
Old 2011-10-26, 01:12   Link #278
LunarMoon

Sorry for the long delay in the response. A slew of projects, exams, and a few extra errands kept me busy, but now that I have some time to breath, it’s time to get back into the discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
No really they are not. I consume a lot of fiction in many different mediums & tragic tones are just as common as uplifting ones. In fact killing off characters for shock value seems to be a new norm in fiction.
I'm just not seeing it, though that may have to do with the fact that I've oversaturated myself with American media over the last two years. You may have a point with Japanese media, though. I decided to scan through my MAL and counted a 12 to 9 ratios in terms of endings that were happy to bittersweet or depressing. Of course, I've gone out of my way to avoid harem anime and moe shows such as K-ON and Squid Girl, so I'm not sure about how the ratio would add up with the large influx of those over the last few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
And now you show that you don't know the meaning of words you are using When someone says that something is childish then they are calling it immature, it has nothing to do with mood or themes of a series, but rather how it approaches it. All of the examples you listed aren't childish series at all as each and everyone of them approaches their themes with a sense of maturity, and even then a series being childish isn't a bad thing. What makes a series bad is the story itself.
Quote:
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. –C.S. Lewis
This is what I was getting at. The idea of using the word “childish” as a form of deprecation irks me, since it implies an obsession with “being very grown up”. If you mean “mindless” or “gimmicky” than it’s just within my pet peeve to use those words, since the other implies more about the speaker than it necessarily does about the topic. Basically, it’s this obsession with watching something, because it’s “mature” that bothers me, though kudos for giving points to Lewis Carol.
Quote:
You know what its no use using the spoiler for 2003 series because of its age.
It's easy to place spoiler tags on this forum, so I tend to do so for just about anything. If this were Gamefaqs, where you have to skip multiple lines in order to prevent yourself from posting a spoiler than I wouldn't bother with it, but here it's so convenient that I might as well do so. Even though the series is old, it doesn't mean that everyone's seen it. I know a lot of people in their twenties who have yet to see the Godfather and the vast majority of other old movies, though they've been out for half a century or more. It just depends on when you get around to seeing something.

Anyway, the following is my assessment of the series after watching it, and isn't really a direct response to anyone. It's pretty long so I decided to place it into spoiler tags to seperate the content. I mentioned that I was unimpressed by Brotherhood. That's largely due to the hype I had coming into it; I just can't see it as a #2 series, or as better than the 2003 anime.

Spoiler for Assessment of FMA Brotherhood:

Last edited by LunarMoon; 2011-10-26 at 02:07.
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote